Green tea has always been one of my favorite flavors.  Not only do I drink a daily mug of green tea every morning, but green tea ice cream, green tea frappucinos from Starbucks, and green tea flavored mints make common appearances in my life.  Now these pancakes are being added to the list.

They require matcha powder, which is a Japanese powdered green tea.  It can be rather expensive and difficult to find (I actually never found it - my mom brought it back from a little store in Hawaii), but the intense green tea flavor is worth the hunt if you're a die-hard green tea fan like I am.

I want to experiment more with matcha because I can envision so many possibilities, but until then, these pancakes will do.  In fact, they will more than "just do."  Just look at that beautiful intense green color.  The slight bitterness of green tea remains present in these subtly sweet pancakes yielding a wonderful flavor dimension. You can feel good about eating these too because you're eating green food, and all green food is good for you, right?  Actually, matcha IS good for you (hello, antioxidants), and I even snuck in some zucchini; so make these and you're green…. er, golden.
Matcha Green Tea Pancakes
Serves 1

• 1/4 cup spelt flour
  • 2 tbsp coconut flour
  • 2 tsp unsweetened matcha green tea powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup egg whites
  • 1/2 cup shredded zucchini, pressed between paper towels to remove as much moisture as possible
  • 5 tbsp almond milk
  • 2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
  • 2 tsp honey
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp almond extract
  • stevia or additional honey, to taste

Combine dry ingredients (spelt flour through baking powder) in a small mixing bowl.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Cook on a preheated skillet until bubbly in center and dry around edges, flip, and cook for about another minute, or until bottom is golden brown.  The batter will be thick so you will need to spread it around into pancake shapes on the pan.

Have you ever tried matcha?  What is your favorite way to to enjoy it?  Feel free to leave recipes or links!  Have a great day everyone!

07/28/2014 18:02

I love matcha green tea as an ingredient! It used to be my go-to drink at Sbux (a tall green tea latte :) ) ...on the rare occasion I did buy anything from there :P

I also love how it makes whatever its added into green :)

As you very well know, I share your love of matcha! :) I especially love green tea mochi ice cream, green tea ice cream, green tea Frappuccino's, green tea lattes, green tea in my oatmeal...pretty much everything! These pancakes were great and I'm definitely going to make them again! :)

What a great idea to give pancakes a healthy boost.

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I am new to yours, but I have bookmarked it to come back daily. Hope to see you back on mine too :)

07/31/2014 05:43

These look SO yummy and I can't believe how healthy they are! I've only tried green tea once and I wasn't a huge fan.. maybe I should give it another try!

07/31/2014 16:31

I actually hate the flavor of green tea, unless it has some lemon, lime, or something else in it to mask the grassiness... That being said, I envy you because green tea is very very healthy. Of course I drink it regardless because sometimes I am in the mood for the light taste... But not all the time! These flap jacks look FLIPPING PHENOMENAL (ha! see what I did there?) I want a few thousand of them flipped into my mouth! Or can you make these pancakes into a green tea flavor tea?? LOL!

08/01/2014 14:32

I have so many recipes bookmarked with matcha ... and now I want to make some pancakes too! I've never been able to find it but at some point I may just crack and order online :) Happy weekend!

08/02/2014 07:31

Mmmm I love matcha-based desserts, especially when chocolate is involved. Great idea to add matcha powder to pancakes and your stacks look delicious...and so pretty ;)! I love that you snuck some zucchini in the batter!

08/04/2014 05:09

Wow - Alex - these look fabulous!!! I so need to get my hands on some matcha powder to give these a try - these are so fluffy AND gluten free!!!!

These pancakes look amazing, Alex! Love the machta green colour- so vibrant!

08/12/2014 11:45

Wow, these matcha pancakes looks super good, I wish I can eat them though! I must make some pancakes like this and of course, with peanut butter like you :) I don’t like matcha in my beverages (I'm a daily green tea drinker), but I used to like them in desserts (soft cakes, swiss rolls, etc), but they aren’t vegan though.

08/12/2014 22:52

Oh my gosh!! I just freaked out a little when I saw this post! I am OBSESSED with green tea. I drink green tea, I eat green tea icecream, I make green tea smoothies, BUT I have never made green tea pancakes before. Why? I do not know, but after seeing yours, I will probably make them for breakfast tomorrow morning ;)

03/20/2016 08:26

Wonderful recipe of pancakes that is new idea, everyone have their own recipe and techniques to the making of recipes. Thanks for sharing the recipe I really appreciate your work keep it up with new blog posts.

The sagacity of the trough and bitter realities are observed and implemented. It is veer research oriented and ridden. The importing of the things are very important and necessary. It is conducted and implemented. It is very necessary and inquisitive. It is found and brought with all prospects and chances of the satisfaction.

03/23/2016 01:51

This is very much a work in progress whenever I find out about one who is more beautiful than any of these I will add her and kick out number ten Thanks for sharing the informative post.

06/15/2016 08:19

How can you stay in shape and writing a food blog?))

07/27/2016 12:52

Copy buffett software is so good

08/02/2016 05:53

I regret the fact that I didn't know amazing people like you before who can support and alleviate stress and frustration of assignment and essays.

08/03/2016 02:28

Thanks so much. This looks ideal as a basis for me. Will go through in detail tomorrow and if anything untoward get back to you. Thanks again for prompt completion.

08/03/2016 03:08

I would just like to say thank you and I really do appreciate all your hard work.

Thank you for everything I will go through it and let you know as soon as i have feedback for you!

I just want to thank you so much for all of your help over the last few weeks. I could not have done it without you.

I just wanted to send this email to show my appreciation for the good and timely service you provided.

08/04/2016 05:49

Thank you so much and extend my warmest regards to the writer. I really appreciate her or his time.