Donut recipe based on my chocolate peppermint donuts.
For the donuts:
• 1 /4 cup spelt flour
• 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
• 1.5 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
• smidgen nutmeg
• 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
• 1 tbsp applesauce
• 3 tablespoon liquid egg whites or 1 egg white
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• sweetener to taste (I used liquid stevia)
For the frosting:
• 2 tbsp whipped cream cheese
• 1/4 scoop vanilla protein powder
• 1 tbsp almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (or 375 on convection) and grease two donuts of a donut pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, applesauce, egg white, vanilla extract, and stevia/sweetener.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold together until well combined, but don't over-mix.
- Spoon the batter into the greased donut pan and bake in the preheated oven for about ten minutes. Test with a toothpick!
- While the donuts are cooling, mix together the frosting ingredients in a small bowl until combined and smooth. Remove the donuts from the pan, frost, and devour!
So go make some donuts, drown them in frosting, and sit in the kitchen (or in bed, I won't judge) with a smile on your face as you have your donuts and eat them too.
Do you like donuts? Are you a fan of frosting?
I hope everyone's week is off to a great start!