Well, hello there.  How has everyone been over the past, er, several months?  As much as I wanted to keep up the blog over last semester, college got too busy...  How does that happen?!  Oh well, I am finally home for the holidays which means that school has been completely wiped from my mind.  I wish that that also meant that I've been cooking up a storm, but since I had my wisdom teeth taken out last Friday, I've had to stick to stick to soft foods for the most part.  Thankfully, donuts fit the bill, so they were my breakfast of choice both yesterday morning and this morning.  In honor of WIAW, I thought I'd share the recipe!  Now I've shared it before, but it was quite some time ago, and is there really such a thing as too many donut recipes?  I didn't think so.
Now the star of the show here is the frosting.  I could eat it all day, everyday and be one happy lady.  Okay, okay, I'd need a few other things thrown in there to really be happy (e.g. chocolate, gotta have chocolate obviously), but you know what I mean.  The light and airy subtly flavored donut base is perfect.  It isn't at all selfish and lets the icing do the talking.  Oh dear, I'm making food talk and letting it have personalities...  I better just give you the recipe before things get too out of hand!
Peanut Butter Coconut Maple Frosted Donuts
Serves 1

Ingredients (donuts):
  • 1/4 cup spelt flour (I've also had good results with brown rice flour!)
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1 egg white (or just under 1/4 cup liquid egg whites)
  • 3.5 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon extract of choice (I've had good results with almond, maple, and hazelnut extract)
  • Stevia, to taste (I use liquid stevia)

Ingredients (frosting):
  • 2 teaspoons coconut butter
  • 2 teaspoons peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg white, yogurt, extract, and stevia.
  4. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry, and allow it to sit undisturbed for a minute or two.
  5. Pour the batter into a greased donut pan (I use coconut oil to grease).
  6. Bake in the preheated oven for 13-15 minutes.  Test with a toothpick!
  7. For the frosting, melt the coconut butter and peanut butter together in the microwave for about 30 seconds.  Stir in the maple syrup.
  8. Remove the donuts from the pan, frost, and devour!

Now since it's only a week to Christmas, my next baking adventures will be cookies - butter-laden, sugar filled cookies.  No healthifying when it comes to Christmas cookies!  Christmas comes but once a year, and we've got to live it up, am I right?!  I'll be sure to share the goodies with you, and I also plan to do a running update post and Quest Bar review in the near future. Fasten your seat-belts, this blog is going for a ride!

I hope all you lovely people are doing well and are preparing for a wonderful holiday!

Question:  What is your favorite Christmas cookie?

Comments

12/19/2013 00:51

Mhmm these look mouthwatering! Donuts are by far my favorite bakery dessert and I'm literally drooling at the thought of these. The frosting sounds to die for as well!

12/19/2013 04:05

So good to see you back...and with an amazing recipe!

Love how it is single serving- I don't have either of those flours but I will so try it with oat flour. That, or I'll just make a batch of icing.

12/19/2013 06:12

Oh wow! Thanks for sharing this highly original and delicious looking icing! Can't wait to try it out :)

12/19/2013 07:51

Okay these look SO yummy! I haven't tried using coconut oil yet... I agree about Christmas cookies. You can't healthify them! So happy you've got some posts planned :)

12/19/2013 08:14

well, hello again!! glad that you're on holidays and you can finally relax. those donuts look divine!

wisdom teeth suck. did you get all 4 out in one shot? i did that years ago and spent the week on the couch high from all the codene pain killers. actually, that part was pretty awesome LOL

-kathy
<a href="http://www.lifeinprogress.ca">Vodka and Soda</a>

12/22/2013 10:09

Yep, all four are out! And hahaha those pain killers do work pretty well! I have a tendency to just "deal" with pain so I kind of have to be forced to take them, but I always end up happy when I do eventually take them ;)

Charolette
12/24/2013 14:37

When it comes to pills of any kind you are like your mom and Aunt Marita. Getting them to take a pain pill was a bigger pain to me than it must have been to them because it rarely happened!

That frosting sounds to die for!! I'm pretty sure I would enjoy eating that all by itself ;).

12/19/2013 10:22

HI YOU!!!! I've missed you! Welcome back :)

These look incredible! All I want to do over the break is bake donuts!!

12/19/2013 15:25

Yaaaay!!!! You are back!!!!
Good to "see" ya Alex! And dang - this frosting! Ithink I could eat it with a spoon and forgot the donuts - in fact, I think I have ALL the 3 ingredients for it now...Maple/coconut/pb frostingpartay at my house - in honor of you being back!

12/19/2013 16:31

Those doughnuts look AMAZING! Great recipe. Thanks for sharing!

12/19/2013 22:10

Happy to see you back Alex! Recipe sounds amazing. We have a nice little jug of maple syrup from our family in New York... May have to try out that frosting idea for some other things as well :)

12/19/2013 23:37

These look SOOO GOOD!! I LOVE donuts.

12/20/2013 03:12

Welcome back! Although I have been following/stalking you on Instagram so I didn't miss too much. Oh boy I remember I lived on smoothies and soup when I got my wisdom teeth out. And Vicodin. ;-) I was night quite fully in my foodie phase yet, else I am sure I would have made doughnuts.

12/21/2013 00:43

WOW those look good. I don't own a doughnut pan though! :(

12/22/2013 10:17

You could try making them in a muffin tin! I'm sure they would taste just as good! :)

Nom nom nom. Your frosted doughnuts looks amazing! I love how you made an all natural frosting! Genius little girl. <3

I feel you with the semester! I find I don't have a lot of time to blog while I'm in the middle of a school semester, but sometimes I find the time (or make the time) to get on and share some thoughts as as of late. But school comes first.

12/27/2013 17:46

Glad to have you back, Alexandra! I was happy to see you back on IG, too! Few months ago…whew, I was in Argentina and now in France! Time passes way too quickly, but I’m looking forward to 2014! I used to like Pebernødder and Danish biscuits (aka Vaniljekransen)! Peanut butter + coconut maple donuts... I would like to have that at a vegan donut shop! LOL!