Happy Sunday everyone!  Who's ready for Christmas?!  I know that I'm just enjoying spending time with my friends and family!  My Grandparents are currently visiting, and we always have such a good time together so I'm really enjoying it!

Now last post I did before my hiatus, I'd recently completed a half marathon, so you may be wondering where my running has taken me since.  Well to be honest, it hasn't really taken me anywhere.  I guess that is a bit of a lie - let me back up.  On October 26, I ran my first 10k.  It was definitely a success in my book!  I had an official time of 49:52 and got first in my age group.  Oh and I got the coolest medal ever.  Yes, EVER.
Oh and the bones glow in the dark.  Try to contain you jealousy.

So anyway, the moment I stopped running after crossing the finish line, something happened in my feet, and I literally couldn't walk.  I stumbled forward, and after a few minutes, I found myself limping on.  I scheduled an appointment with the doctor on campus for the beginning of the next week, and she said it was either a foot fracture or planter fascitis.  Either way, she ordered me to stay off my feet for at least two weeks.  I've never been very good at following doctor's orders, but I didn't want to mess up my feet for life and never be able to run again.  So I put my running shoes aside and gave running a break.

My left foot healed right away, but even after two weeks, my right foot really hadn't improved.  So I gave it some more time.  After a month, it had improved quite a bit, so I decided to see if it was fully healed by doing a trial run.  I thought that it was better, but the next day, I realized I had made it worse again by running on it.  So, back to the drawing board.  I didn't run on it again until about a week and a half ago, but I'm happy to report that it is finally healed.  Unfortunately, I had my wisdom teeth removed about a week ago so I've only been able to run once since, but now that I'm almost fully healed, I'm getting back to the roads.

I'm going to have to be careful, of course, that I don't get back into it too quickly and hurt my foot again.  Especially since I have another half marathon in about a month.  Yep, a half marathon when I, essentially, haven't run for the past two months.  I am so out of shape (even the 2.5 miles I did a week and a half ago were a challenge - though I did do about six miles last Friday and they felt amazing), but I'm not one to back out of something once I've committed.  Even if it means crawling across the finish line, I'm going to do it and I'm going to finish.

And now, I'm curious...  What do you think this is a picture of?
Believe or not, it is food - I made it, and I ate it.  Though It didn't turn exactly how I had planned... I'll reveal its identity in my next post!

In case I don't get a chance to post again before Wednesday, I hope you all have a truly wonderful Christmas and get to spend it with people you love!!

Questions:

Have you ever experienced a set-back in running or other kind of fitness activity?

I'd really love to hear your  guesses about the green blob above!

Comments

12/22/2013 11:16

Oh no!! Hopefully you're totally okay! That is an amazing medal. I have no idea about that green blob!! Some kind of quinoa?!

12/24/2013 17:10

Thanks girl! I appreciate it. :) And your idea about the green blob is making me want some quinoa!! :P

12/22/2013 12:04

That is the coolest medal ever. I'm so glad your foot is finally healed- injuries are scary and terrible :( I had a mystery knee pain for about a month. It started when I was outside on my feet for 14 hours a day, with one of those hours being running... It healed when I let my body rest. My guess is kale! kale chips!

12/24/2013 17:11

I'm glad your knee pain went away! I had knee pain for a while today, but I got some knee bands and that helped it go away!

12/22/2013 13:18

Love the medal! It's so unque and cute- whoever designed it did a great job :D. I'm guessing some sort of veggie chip?

12/24/2013 17:12

Hehe I agree!! I mean what could be better than glow in the dark?!

12/22/2013 17:42

Love the medal! And good for you for listening to your doctor and taking a break from running... it will pay off in the long run! Merry Christmas, Alex! :)

12/24/2013 17:12

Merry Christmas to you too!! :)

Congrats on your race! That's so exciting! But I'm sorry for what happened to your foot though -- that is never fun.... I know how you feel with the wisdom teeth. I had mine taken out a little over a month ago and it wasn't fun. (I have a phobia of needles.) I hope you are doing better. <3

It kind of looks like kale or broccoli.... I wonder what it is. :)

12/24/2013 17:13

Wisdom teeth are definitely a pain. But luckily we both have it behind us!

12/23/2013 04:23

Oooo good that things have finally been sorted- I have faith in you that you'll get that groove back ready for the upcoming half ;)

I'm guessing that's a kale dish? Intrigued!

12/24/2013 17:14

Thanks Arman!! I sure hope I can get back to it... it's feeling good so far!

12/23/2013 08:09

that looks like baked kale. i also spotted a Wolf stove which is SO AWESOME and my dream stove. you know you're an old hag when your desire is a stove LOL

so. injuries. after my tough mudder race, i took a couple of days off and when i started running trails again, my left knee gave out. i had NEVER had any joint pain ever and this surprised me. so to avoid prolonging my injury, i stopped running/all high impact activity and was totally bummed because i LOVE high intensity anything. it's been about 2 months but i promised myself and my knee that i would give it until january and reevaluate. so far, it's good; no pain and i have been testing the waters (ie. jumping around during workouts etc) and so far, so good.

it sucks but it's important to heal. happy holidays!!

-kathy
<a href="http://www.lifeinprogress.ca">Vodka and Soda</a>

12/24/2013 17:16

The Wolf stove is AMAZING!!! It's hard to cook on another one once you're used to cooking on it though haha!

I'm so glad your knee pain has gone away so far! I had knee pain too when I first started running. I got some knee bands though and that seemed to do it. Fingers crossed that your knees are healed for good!

Happy holidays to you too!

12/23/2013 10:15

Ugh so sorry to hear about your hiccup! But so glad you are better now! I too had planter fascitis awhile back - but after 3 weeks off and a lot of can rolling with my hurt foot - it was all better - now I pay close attention to the shoes i wear and my running form ...and so far..no bad injuries.
Is that kale? Did you bake it? Kale chips are dabomb!
Merry Christmas to you are your loved ones Alex - hope you enjoy your time with all of them!

12/24/2013 17:17

Ah yes rolling helps so much! I'm glad you're hurt foot seems to be doing better!

It's actually not kale, but I've ALWAYS wanted to try kale chips so maybe next time!

Merry Christmas to you too!! <3

12/24/2013 21:04

I am SO glad you are all healed, I think with your passion and ability (seriously you killed it with training for your first half) a month is more than enough time to get back out there and run!! The race atmosphere is SO much different (as you know) than running alone for training. You will be JUST fine, you have you believe it!! I had knee problems this past February, but other than that I have been very lucky!