Hello everyone!  I just wanted to check in with you all!  I hope you are all doing wonderful.  Overall, I'm doing pretty good, though to be perfectly honest, I am stressing out about school already.  The first bit is always so rough because you don't know what to expect from tests and other assignments, how the teachers grade, etc.  I really want to believe that everything will be okay not let it get to me, but that is so hard for me to do, and I'm kind of failing at it.  I think I'm doing a fairly descent job with squeezing some fun things in there though!  Take for example labor day weekend.  Instead of spending the entire time studying, I actually had some fun with my friends!  I felt a little guilty about not studying, but I was trying my best to embrace the extra day off, and you know what?  It all worked out - I had fun and I got all of my studying done, with time to spare.  It can be done.

So what exactly did I do?  I think a little weekend recap is in order!  Saturday began with a bit of homework, but after a couple hours, I forwent that in favor of paying my horse a visit.  As I was heading bach, my friend texted me asking if I wanted to go to the coast.  Even though I wanted to say yes right away, it did take some time for me to realize that I could go and not do homework the rest of the day.  Luckily my parents helped me see that I could, and in the end, I just couldn't turn down the thought of such a great time!  So I had a quick lunch, and my three friends and I were off!  We hit terrible traffic on the way, but we eventually caught some awesome views:
Even though it was gorgeously sunny at our school, the coast had a mind of its own with all that fog!  There were several sightseeing areas that we wanted to stop at, but it was so foggy that we couldn't even see the water. In all of the areas but one...
I thought this bridge looked like it was out of some fantasy movie!
We also found this adorable little souvenir shop!
We drove along the coast for a ways, stopped at a Fred Meyer because a couple of my friends desperately needed a few things, and then we turned to the most important topic: dinner.  We all decided that we wanted pizza so we turned to our phones because what else was there to do? ;-)  We found one that sounded good, but it was on the way back to school so we hopped in the car and headed out, our mouths watering in anticipation of the pizza we were now craving.  I tracked the path on the GPS on my phone, and as we neared, we began to get excited.  Then we were met with: CLOSED.  What?!?  All of that excitement for nothing???  Our hearts sank.  We were too set on pizza to take defeat though.  So back to the phones it was.  Of  course, there were more pizza places, so I routed us to another one.  But our eyes mate the same tragic sight as we neared.  Darn-it, we wanted our pizza!!!

Not sure what to do, we just kept driving trying to decide if we should head back to school and find something there.  Obviously we weren't meant to have pizza.  But then, like magic, it appeared: a pizza shack that was open!  "Look!" I shouted as I pointed to the magnificent site.  We veered to the left and were soon in the parking lot.  It was quite cold inside as the doors were kept open, and we had to clear our own table to get one (that place was packed),  but it was all worth it.  I mean, just look at that gorgeous pie!!  (Mine was obviously the veggie side.)
With happy tummies, we headed back to school, and our adventure came to an end.  And the best part about the day?  I didn't feel anxious like I have in the past when I pass up studying for something fun.  I was able to just relax and enjoy the time spent with my friends!

The majority of Sunday was devoted to studying, but I took a bit of time off on Monday to hang out with my brother for a bit and also satisfy my intense froyo craving.
Peach/tart swirl, strawberry, peanut butter cup, and toasted coconut topped with blueberries, strawberries, chocolate chunks, chocolate sprinkles, and a few mini peanut butter cups!
I went with my roommate, and since I just met her this year (I was going to room with a friend from last year, but through the whole room change thing, we weren't able to stay in the same room) so it was great to chat and get to know her better!  And guess what?  She's a chocolate lover too! (Obviously we were discussing the important things in life.)  I think we're going to get along juuuuust fine. ;-)

I wish I had three day weekends every week so that I could just repeat above every week!  At least it happened once and hopefully will happen again!

What did you do for Labor Day weekend?
Any tips on handling stress?

Well, I'm off to go conquer a ten mile run!  See you all next time!!!

Comments

09/08/2013 14:23

Oh how nice that would be if every week was just four days and then three days off. Heaven I tell you :)

It sounds like you had a blast and it was exactly what you needed. That's great that you got to hang out with your brother and that you're getting closer with your roommate.

I guess for me and stress it just helps to tell myself that whatever I am dealing with is not the end of the world. Like "literally." It helps to put things in perspective when I think that things could always being go much worse. Also, everything always turns out for the best anyways so stressing over it will not help anyone.

Now if that would just work every time... ;)

09/08/2013 14:35

What a fun weekend! My labor day weekend was spent in Detroit at a Tigers game :) the pizza and froyo look delish! And that bridge s beautiful.

09/08/2013 16:04

The coast looks lovely with the fog - was it fog?! Fog is lovely though! Didn't do much on Labor Day weekend, plus some shops/groceries were closed on Sundays (normal), and of course it's not celebrated in Spain, hehe! I like to go out during stressful times, just as trying new foods or watching classic movies! I hope you will have a peaceful & enjoyable week!

09/08/2013 16:29

You're so right, you've got to embrace the extra day when you can! And with the end of summer, it's especially important to seize the great opportunities :)

Whenever I'm stressed I just think 'It will all work out'. It sounds sort of cliche and overly simple, but it's true. Somehow things just 'work out'. Think back to another time when you thought it was too hard and you were going to buckle under pressure. You made it through, and everything resolved itself, like it will again :)

And don't you just hate the crushed feeling when you see 'Closed' on somewhere you need to go! But so glad you found somewhere the satisfied your pizza-fix. See how it just worked out? ;) (Yes, preaching my own advice, I'm shameless :P)

09/08/2013 17:13

This sounds like such a fun weekend! And yummm, your pizza looks delicious :)

09/08/2013 19:59

So great to hear things are settling slowly- although it is stressful I'm glad to hear you found time to balance study and fun- two necessary parts to a successful time at college!

Anyway I'll shoot you an email during the week! Give your horse a carrot and sugar cube for me ;)

09/08/2013 22:08

THAT PIZZA!!! Looks like plan B didn't turn out so bad ;) School is definitely important but when you look back on your college years the things you will remember are the times spent with friends NOT studying and that test that you didn't study enough for or the assignment stressing you out will have completely faded from memory. I wish I could go back and tell myself that ;)

09/09/2013 09:48

Sounds like it was a fantastic weekend! And great job with allowing yourself time to relax...certainly just as important as study time ;)

09/09/2013 13:20

Mhmm what a fun weekend! I don't blame you for being on a quest for pizza. Sometimes a girl just needs the cheesy goodness!

09/09/2013 16:08

I, too, went out this weekend when I should of been studying. Luckily, I still have a week until my next two tests but I felt guilty when I got home. I'm devoting this whole week to studying (which means less blogging) and next weekend to a little bit of working and last minute cramming. :)

09/09/2013 16:59

sounds like tons of fun. the scenery is beautiful. im not much of a beach person. i also think that due to the heat i just would rather not be outside. however, it is cooling down and perhaps things will get better when its colder. i'll try visiting the beach from my end. being stress free is the way to go with school. it'll be easier when you dont have to think about it. :)

09/10/2013 00:11

Haha I'm loving your perseverance for that pizza- glad you guys managed to get your hands on some...annndd now I'm craving a slice at 9 am in the morning :)! Sounds like your weekend was loads of fun and a great way to start the academic year. And a roommate that likes chocolate? Now SHE'S a keeper ;)!

Aw, try not to stress yourself out Alex! You seem like such a smart girl. You're going to do just fine. I do remember getting nervous about the first exam as well. It's always a guessing game to figure out each teacher's style.

Your Labor Day weekend looked fantastic! That bridge really does look like it's from a fantasy movie, it's gorgeous! And so is that beach. That pizza also looks like it was worth the hunt. Gosh I love me a good veggie pizza.

Good luck with your first exams! :)

09/10/2013 10:43

Wow it looks so pretty there!!!

09/10/2013 13:16

I'm so glad you got out to have fun with your friends!! I loveee all these photos, especially the fog photos!! I envision running across that foggy bridge!!

09/10/2013 13:22

Sometimes you just need to put the books on the back burner and have a nice fun day with no school work. Granted, I probably do that a little too often, but nature like that can't be found on a textbook page! Those foggy photos are so gorgeous to me! I oddly love fog. It can be scary to drive in, but I think it's so pretty. (And cool thinking you're driving through clouds!)

09/10/2013 13:35

love that bridge pic!

School always caused me a lot of stress but that was because I put a lot of pressure on myself. My only advice is to make sure that you give yourself enough time for yourself even when you feel like you don't have the time. Even just half an hour can go a long way!

P.S - That pizza looks fantastic!
P.S.S - Love the scenery in these pictures!

Now those fro yo toppings would definitely be a stress killer for me ;)
And running, running wonders at preserving my sanity. Glad you took the time to enjoy yourself labor day weekend - the views are gorgeous!

Hey Alex! I'm so glad you had such a wonderful Labor Day weekend! I know how you feel about studying -- during the semester it was hard for me to for-go studying to go out with my roommates or others, but I've learned that a little destressing like that can really help focus on my schoolwork later. I actually perform better when I take that little time to relax.

I'm also glad you and your friends were able to find a pizza shack that was open! It's always frustrating when you're dying for something and the place is closed!!!! Ugh!

He-he, and I'm super excited that your roommate likes chocolate too -- that is definitely an important subject. ;)

I hope you are doing well! I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up with you recently, but I found a way to "follow" your posts (tried a different web-browser, and it works on here and is SO worth it!).

Kathleen

01/18/2014 13:29

02/24/2014 07:16

Very great vacation sister :)

10/17/2014 02:02

Armstrong Chain Link Fence Heavily Zinc Coated is most demanding the raw material are Electro galvanized, hot-dipped galvanized, PVC coated.