My mom is thinking about calling a psychologist. She is convinced that my obsession with squash is not normal. Maybe she's right, but I think she forgot to take into account that I'm not normal and thus my abnormal thoughts are actually normal, for me. But I guess that depends on you definition of normal, and since I consider myself abnormal, my definition of normal maybe someone else's definition of abnormal thus making me normal. Normal or not, I'm moving on to the point of today's post...
Yesterday's squash haul.
Spanish class is inspirational. At least it was this past Monday. I was sitting with a few minutes left in class, and I began thinking of a burrito. Of course, I knew I had no tortillas at home. Major dilemma? No, because I also knew I had english muffins. And thus Mexican English Muffin Pizza was born during passing period.
Monday's dinner, eaten with a pile of raw green beans.
Recipe? Oh right, let me run and get me notebook. (*Scrambles to backpack, pulls it open, yanks the notebook from the tight row of other notebooks, textbooks, an empty lunch bag, Beloved
, and In Cold Blood
-- my current literature class reads, and flips through Spanish notes, this weekends homework assignment, notes for my paper in lit class, dance vocabulary and the warm-up that I created, and then, at last, the recipe. Rambles back to the computer.*)Mexican English Muffin PizzaThe ingredient list may be long, but it actually comes together rather quickly! Even though it may not be quite as quick as frozen pizza, the unique taste will make you glad that you took the extra time.
- 1 english muffin, split in half
- 2 tablespoons salsa of choice
- 1/4 cup black beans (if using canned, drain and rinse)
- A small handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons corn, fresh or thawed frozen
- A handful of fresh cilantro leaves, lightly chopped (I actually didn't have any, but I think it would be a wonderful addition!)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 oz shredded cheese of choice (I used mozzarella because it was what I had, but I think any kind would work)
- 1/2 a small avocado, sliced (optional)
- A spoonful of Greek yogurt or sour cream (optional)
- Cover a small baking sheet with aluminum or parchment paper. Set your oven to broil.
- Spread each english muffin half with a tablespoon of salsa, and place the english muffin halves on the prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, mix the black beans, tomatoes, onion, corn, cilantro, and spices. Spoon half the mixture onto one english muffin half and the remaining mixture onto the other muffin half.
- Evenly sprinkle the cheese on the muffin halves.
- Place the pan in the oven and broil for about five minutes -- until the cheese melts and begins to brown.
- Transfer the pizza to a plate and top with the avocado and sour cream. Enjoy!
And now I want to share a couple of random meals from the past week! There's no such thing as to many food pictures, right? Right? ;)
Let's see, above we have steamed brussel sprouts, delicata squash (think candy, only better), Whole Foods avocado sushi, and Katie's One Minute Chocolate Cake
. Who says you can't have cake for lunch? I tried the cake with just stevia to see how it would turn out, but I think I would use some real sugar next time (yes, there will definitely
be a next time :P). It's so nice be able to have chocolate cake only a minute away!
Sorry for the lighting! I was hungry and didn't want to go all the way downstairs to my light box! So instead, I snapped a quick picture and then dug into steamed corn, steamed brussel sprouts, roasted kabocha (my first stab at my newly acquired squash collection), and a whole wheat english muffin topped with a mixture of Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and peanut butter. And no, I couldn't possibly limit myself to that little amount of squash... kabocha was also my appetizer and dessert. ;) And along with dinner, I had my first kombucha:
It was quite yummy! Definitely something I would get again.
Do you ever get recipe inspirations from class?
Do you have an obsession with squash?
Also, thank you for the compliments on my new header! I'm so glad you guys like it!